Admins can create new templates for sending offers via email using Microsoft Word or another text editor that can edit and save .docx files, such as Google Docs.
While .docx is supported, we recommend that you convert these files to .doc format in the event of any formatting or rendering issues.
Since you're creating a single template that will be used to make offers for more than one candidate, you'll need to include placeholders for candidate-specific information. To do this, you can insert merge fields within the text of the offer. These are generated by SmartRecruiters based on the candidate and job fields in your account. You can only choose from the list of merge fields that is available in your SmartRecruiters account.
- Write up the offer letter, and identify all the information that should be customized for each candidate. These are input fields such as salary, office location, stock options, etc.
- Check your list of custom merge fields to make sure there is one for each input field.
Find your list of merge fields
To find a list of your current custom merge fields:
- Navigate to Settings / Admin.
- Click Offer Templates.
- Above the table, click See merge fields and instructions.
Your company's list will differ, because it will depend on the custom fields in your account.
- If there are any missing, create a custom candidate field first.
Add merge fields
Once you have all the necessary merge fields, replace each input field in the template with its corresponding merge field.
Make sure you use plain text merge fields, as described below in this document. Microsoft Word and other proprietary word processors include their own proprietary merge fields. These application-specific fields will not be recognized by SmartRecruiters' templating engine, and may fail the rendering process.
To add a merge field into the template, just format it like this:
For example, if your offer letter includes a line like this:
You will start in a full-time position at a commission rate of 2%, and you will report to your hiring manager, David Samuels.
You'll enter into the template as:
You will start in a full-time position at a commission rate of <<SalesCommission>>, and you will report to your hiring manager, <<HiringManagerFamiliarName>>.
Write the entire template as you like, and make sure to enter each merge field inline with the surrounding text. Be careful! Merge fields are case sensitive.
Download an example offer letter.
Once you've created an offer template:
- Navigate to Settings / Admin and click Offer Templates.
- Click Upload Template and select your template to upload it to SmartRecruiters.
- Once the template has been uploaded, click the globe icon to preview it.
- If there are errors, delete the template, edit the original file, and reupload it.
- Once you've uploaded the template, you can set the date format, or make it available to specific jobs by clicking the Edit icon:
To make the offer template available on any job, just leave All for each Org Field in the list. To make it available for specific jobs, choose different values for one or more fields. You can choose more than one value for each field.
SmartRecruiters will make the template available for jobs with the exact same set of values.