SmartRecruiters' Interview Scheduler' side-by-side calendar comparison makes it easy to schedule interviews with multiple participants.
With an active calendar integration, you will be able to view your interviewers' calendars and send suggest interview time blocks to candidates based on your interviewer's availability.
You can use the scheduler without an active calendar integration, but you'll need to compare your interviewers' calendars outside of SmartRecruiters.
Active Calendar Integration vs Inactive
- Navigate to the candidate’s application.
- Click the Interview tab.
With an Active Calendar Integration Without an Active Calendar Integration
An interview scheduler can choose between scheduling a new interview (an option that takes them to the familiar interview scheduling functionality) or inviting a candidate to self-schedule. This choice will be presented as a dropdown linked to the “Schedule” button.
Customers who do not have a calendar integration enabled will continue to see only the option to schedule interviews, and will not see the new self-scheduling option on the left.
- Select how you would like to schedule your interview with the Candidate:
- To allow candidates to choose a time from a pre-selected interview time block(s), click Invite to self-schedule. For more details, see Self Schedule)
- To directly schedule an interview with a date and time, click Schedule new interview or Schedule Interview to open the Scheduler.
Bi-directional calendar sync
Many interviews have last-moment changes driven by the change in interviewer availability. When those changes happen, many interview organizers take the route of updating interviews in their calendaring system directly. Bi-Directional interviewer sync allows companies to define the level of flexibility for those last-moment interview changes originated from the calendaring system.
Bi-Directional interviewer sync is supported for all calendar integrations available to SmartRecruiters customers: Google Calendar, Office 365 and Microsoft Exchange. Admins can turn on bi-directional sync from their calendar Integration configuration tab.
When Admin turns on the Interviewer Sync option, they can specify whether they would like to allow adding only, removing only, or both adding and removing interviewers from the calendar directly.
This change is initiated from the company’s calendaring system, where SmartRecruiters permissions do not apply, any person with the edit rights to the calendar invite (for example, interviewer) can initiate the update. However, in order for updates to sync with SmartRecruiters, interviewers added from calendar must have a user account in SmartRecruiters associated with their email address.
With active calendar integration or not, all basic functionalities of scheduling an interview is the same across all users. Follow the step-by-step walkthrough below to see the different fields that are available to you.
Pick a Step
By default, SmartRecruiters will choose the candidate's current step in the hiring process. If necessary, chose a different step from the drop-down available in the top left corner:
By default, SmartRecruiters assumes you'll be hosting the interview at the job's location, and will list this location in the invitation emails. If the interview will be held elsewhere, click the Where field and select another location:
Find a time
The Hiring Team list will display all current members of the hiring team for the job.
- Choose one or more members in this list to compare their calendars and find a time when they're all available
- Scroll up or down to look through the various timeslots in the day, or look for availability on other dates by clicking the date and choosing a new day from the datepicker.
Create the event
To create an event:
- Click on the calendar in the timeslot you'd like to reserve
- By default, SmartRecruiters will add new events with a 30-minute duration. To extend this duration:
- Click on the event and drag up or down, or
- Click the Duration field and choose a new time (up to 3 hours) from the list.
If you need to schedule the event for more than 3 hours, use the dragging method.
SmartRecruiters also allows for custom durations down to 5-minute increments.
To create a interview slot with a custom duration:
- Click to create a new slot.
- Drag it to the desired start time, then click Save.
- Click on the slot to edit it.
- Enter the desired duration, and click Update.
Just like before, you can stack back-to-back interviews by carefully moving slots with your cursor. You can confirm slots in the Summary section located at the bottom of the scheduling page.
Add event details
Once you've created the event:
- Select a type from your list of interview types.
- Add an event title.
- If necessary, add additional participants by searching for users by name.
- Reserve conference rooms, projectors, and other resources on your calendar by searching for them by name.
- Enter a note to interviewers.SmartRecruiters will add this note to the event on interviewers' calendars.
- Click Add when finished. You’ll return to the calendar, and see a summary of the event.
- Click the event on the calendar to update its details or remove it.
Once you’ve created the interview(s), click Add candidate message to select an email template or write a new email to the candidate. Templates with an Invitation to Interview type will be available here.
This step is optional. If you choose to not email the candidate, SmartRecruiters will only send an invite to the interview team. This is a good way to get confirmation from your hiring managers and interviews before you invite the candidate.
The rich-text editor supports a variety of standard HTML formatting, hyperlinks, and merge fields. You can also add attachments. If you'd like to send a copy of this message to someone on the hiring team or another user in your account, click Details and search for the user by name.
You can also add a message to the invitations to your interviewers. Unlike the note in the event, this message will show up in the invitation email only.
Click Send to finalize the event and send interview invitations. SmartRecruiters will always notify all interviewers by email when you create a new event. If you’ve added a message to the candidate, SmartRecruiters will email them as well.
Once you’ve sent invites, you can monitor the status of each invite from the Interview tab on the candidate’s application.
Invites have three statuses:
- Invite sent: SmartRecruiters sent the invite, but the recipient has not responded.
- Invite Accepted: Recipient accepted the invite.
- Invite Declined: Recipient declined the invite.
Interviews can either respond via the invite email, or in the event on their calendar.
Apart from the status displayed in SmartRecruiters, scheduler who send the invite will also receive email notifications when interview recipient accepted or declined the invite.
If your calendar integration is Microsoft O365 integration enabled by delegated permission or Exchange integration, scheduler who send the invite will NOT receive email notification when interview recipient accepted or declined the invite
If you've scheduled and event and sent the invites, you can make changes to the event from the Interview tab and send updates to interviewers by email.
Just click Edit, and make changes as necessary.
Requires calendar integration setup in order to use the features listed below.
|Learn to invite candidates to select interview times within specified available times.|
|Learn to invite candidates to self-schedule in bulk.|
|Learn to invite more than one candidate to be interviewed by the same team at once.|
|Learn to empower schedulers who need to schedule over existing calendar events when initiating the scheduling|