Candidate ratings are a critical aspect of the hiring process in SmartRecruiters. They help recruiters and hiring managers to collect feedback from interviewers and make data-driven decisions.
Grey stars mean that someone else has rated the candidate, but you have not yet submitted a rating. Green stars mean that you have rated the candidate.
Ratings and reviews are not communicated to the candidate.
Overall rating and review
- Find the candidate's profile by navigating to it, or searching for them by name. You can also leave a rating directly on the Applicant List:
- Click the Reviews tab on their profile.
- Click one of the stars for Overall Rating. SmartRecruiters' default rating system is a 5-star scale:
- 1 star is Strong no.
- 2 stars is No.
- 3 stars is Maybe.
- 4 stars is Yes.
- 5 stars is a Strong yes.
- Add in a comment to provide additional detail. Comments are optional, but they can help hiring managers and other interviewers understand your reasoning.
- Click Submit Review.
Your overall rating and comment will be visible to anyone on the hiring team on the Reviews tab and the Notes tab, and also on Hireloop. SmartRecruiters will average your rating with those of other interviewers on the hiring team.
Character limit for comments added is 20,000 characters.
Reviewers can also add code from candidates' whiteboarding or example exercises into their reviews.
To add code to a review:
- Paste the snippet into the Reviews tab and enclose the whole snippet in two sets of three backticks:
You can find the backtick key on your keyboard immediately to the left of the
1/!key, above the
- Once the review is saved, SmartRecruiters will automatically collapse the snippet. Just click View Code Block to expand it.
If the snippet looks like this:
then the first set of backticks is probably on the same line as the first line of code:
Return to put the start of the snippet's code onto the line after the first set of backticks.
If your hiring manager or recruiter has created a scorecard for the job, you'll also have the option to fill out a scorecard and rate the candidate against specific criteria.
- Click the Reviews tab on the candidate's profile.
- Click Show scorecard to display the scorecard's criteria. These are high-level descriptions of behavioral skills that your hiring manager or recruiter has selected as important. Good candidates should demonstrate these skills to a high degree.
- Hover over the name of each criteria to see if the hiring manager has supplied questions that you should ask the candidate. These questions will help you evaluate the candidate against the criteria.
- You can also choose to add a comment and/or click on the scale to rate the candidate against the criteria to provide additional information on the candidate. Both fields are optional and the ratings for individual criteria do not affect the overall rating.
- When finished, click Submit Review. SmartRecruiters will add a story to the list of reviews.
- To revise your scorecard rating and reviews from the Reviews tab, just click Show Scorecard again.
- To revise the scorecard while elsewhere in SmartRecruiters, such as on Hireloop, click Edit to go straight to the Reviews tab.
Character limit for scorecard comments added is 20,000 characters.
In general, before you leave your own ratings and reviews for a candidate, you'll be able to view the ratings or reviews that other members of your hiring team have left. If you don't see any reviews, it's possible that your Admin has turned on Independent Reviews, which hides teammates' reviews from you until you submit your own. Independent Reviews help to reduce bias in reviews, so that you're not unfairly influenced by a previously submitted rating or review.
If you'd really like to see other reviews and ratings before submitting your own, you can "unlock" the reviews by clicking Show Reviews in the More tab:
This option overrides the Hide Reviews toggle.