Normally, candidates provide their resumes when they apply to one of your jobs. You can also upload resumes to add new candidates on the People page and Applicant list for a job.
SmartRecruiters will parse resumes in DOC, DOCX, RTF, ODT, TXT, and PDF file formats, and fill out the candidate profile with the resume's details.
Methods of upload
There are three ways to manually add a new candidate to SmartRecruiters:
- Drag and drop or upload a single resume. On SmartStart, you can add one at time.
- Drag and drop multiple resumes or a folder. On SmartRecruit, you can add multiple resumes at once, or even a folder containing multiple resumes.
- Enter their information manually.
If you choose to drag and drop or upload the resume, SmartRecruiters will parse it, and you'll be able to assign a source (it's required). You can also assign the candidate(s) to a specific job, or add tags, but neither is required.
If you choose to enter their information manually, you'll be able to add a photo (if you have one).
Once you've added or uploaded the candidate's information:
- If the candidate already has a profile, SmartRecruiters updates the current profile with any new or missing information. Essentially, the old and new profile are merged.
- If the candidate's email domain matches your company domain, SmartRecruiters labels them with the Employee tag to help you identify them as an internal applicant.
SmartRecruiters will merge an existing candidate profile with a newly uploaded profile when both share the same email address and last name.
File types and limits
Volume limit: You can drag 'n' drop up to 10,000 resume files individually or in an uncompressed folder.
File size limit: Each file can be up to 10 mb in size.
Supported file types: PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, TXT, or ODT format.
Add a candidate
There are two places where you can find the Add Candidate button:
All SmartRecruiters companies can add one candidate at a time via this method.
- On the People page. If you don't assign a job to the candidate(s) here, SmartRecruiters will automatically assign them to the General Application.
- On the People tab of a job's profile. If you don't assign them to a job when adding them here, SmartRecruiters will automatically assign them to that job.
To add a candidate:
- Click Add Candidate to open a pop-up window:
- Just drag the resume anywhere onto your screen, or click Upload Files to upload resumes or a folder from your computer.
- Review and make changes to the profile as necessary. You'll need to choose a Source and Source Type from the library. You can also assign the candidate to a specific job by searching for the job by name.
- Click Add Candidate to finish.
Add multiple candidates
If you've added more than one resume:
- Assign them a specific source and source type from the library. You'll also have the option to assign tags, add notes, and add them to a specific job.
- If you're on the People page, and you don't assign a job, SmartRecruiters will assign them to the General Application.
- If you're on the Applicant list for a job, SmartRecruiters will auto-fill the Job field with that the job. You can choose a new job if you like.
- SmartRecruiters will then parse the resumes, and present each candidate for your review.
- Review each candidate's profile as parsed. Upload a photo, and make changes if necessary. Then, just click Approve to review the next one. You can also click Approve all to skip manual review and have SmartRecruiters immediately add them. If, for some reason, you decide to skip importing a specific candidate, just click Skip Candidate. SmartRecruiters won't add that candidate.
- As you approve each candidate, SmartRecruiters will add them before showing you the next profile.
Manually add candidate
Alternatively, if you don't have resumes to upload, but want to fill in the candidate's info by hand,
- Click Add Candidate from the People list or Applicant list (on a job).
- Click Fill Manually to enter the candidate's details by hand.
- Fill out the candidate's personal details, and assign a source. Click Upload Avatar to add a photo. The job is optional.
- Click More to add experience, education, tags, attachments, and notes to the hiring team.