In order to set up the Microsoft Office 365 Calendar integration, you'll need to have:
- an Administrator-level account in SmartRecruiters,
- a subscription to Microsoft's Azure Management Portal, and
- the user saving the credentials in SmartRecruiters must have an account in the active directory that the integration is being configured for
There are two steps to integrating your company's Office 365 Calendar with SmartRecruiters:
- Register SmartRecruiters as an App in Azure.
- Add the App's credentials to SmartRecruiters.
Please check that you are not setting up the integration with Internet Explorer 11 or Edge (40.15063.0.0. to 45.01.4.4900) browsers due to known issues reported by Microsoft. It is recommended to use Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge (above 45 version).
When you enable a calendar integration, you give SmartRecruiters permissions to read and write ALL calendar data in your organisation. However, SmartRecruiters' integration pulls only a minimal subset of required data. Due to the technical limitations of Microsoft's calendar services, we cannot limit or configure the scope of permissions allowed by the integration.
Register Azure App
You'll need to register SmartRecruiters as an App to get two pieces of information:
- Application ID
- Client Secret Key
You may need assistance from your Azure Portal Administrator in order to register a SmartRecruiters app in Azure.
Create the app
First, you'll need to register the app itself:
- Log in to https://portal.azure.com under and an Administrator account.
- Click Azure Active Directory in the left-hand panel.
- Click App Registrations.
- Click + New Application Registration at the top of the page.
- In the Create pane, enter a name for the app, e.g.,
SmartRecruiters Calendar Integration.
- For Supported account types, choose Accounts in this organizational directory only.
- Enter https://www.smartrecruiters.com into the Redirect URL field.
- Click Register. You'll see a new summary pane with 8 entries.
- Copy the Application ID.
Generate Secret Key
Now, you'll need to generate a security key that's specific to the app:
- Click the Certificates & secrets icon in the app's options pane.
In the Client secrets section click + New client secret, enter a name for the Key description of a new Key.
Select any time frame between 3 months to 24 months, or define a 'Custom' duration for the expiration date.
Click Add to generate the key's value.
Copy the key's value. You won't be able to retrieve it later.
You are responsibile for making sure your key is live and active. We recommend setting a calendar reminder on the expiration date and renewing the key before it's expired.
Finally, you'll need to give the app permission to read your company's calendar:
- In the options pane, click API permissions.
- In the API permissions section, click +Add a permission.
- In the Select an API pane, choose Microsoft Graph.
- Back in the Request API permission pane, click Application permissions or Delegated Permissions (depending on your intended setup).
In the Select Access section, select these permissions:
Directory.Read.All - Read directory data
Calendars.ReadWrite - Read and write calendars in all mailboxes
Place.Read.All - Read and retrieve all rooms and resources
Click Add permissions.
- In the Grant consent section, click Grant admin consent for company.
- Click Yes.
- If you have selected Delegated Permissions in step #4, you will also need to go to the Authentication section and add the following link under Redirect URIs.
Once you've registered an SmartRecruiters app in Azure and copied down the Application ID, and Secret key, enter them into SmartRecruiters.
- Navigate to Settings / Admin.
- Click Apps & Integration in the Administration list.
- Click the Microsoft Office 365 Calendar Integration tab.
- Select the either Application Permissions or Delegated Permissions that you have chosen in step 4 of the guide in the previous section.
- Enter the Application ID from the Azure app into the Client ID field.
- Enter the key into the Client Secret field.
- Enter your full Tenant ID, e.g.,
SmartRecruiters.onmicrosoft.cominto the Tenant ID field.
- Click Save, and Load Resources to check the connection.
If an error appears, please check that all the steps above are completed correctly.
If no error shows up, please Contact Support to complete the integration.
- Once Support confirms that the integration is complete, return to this page and select Load Resources to see the list of rooms and reservable resources from your calendars.
Click on the following to see the Technical FAQ for Office 365.