In order to set up Google Calendar integration in SmartRecruiters, you'll need to be an Administrator in SmartRecruiters, and have Administrator-level access to your company's Google Cloud Apps (console.developers.google.com) and Search Console (google.com/webmasters/tools).
Make sure to log into the Cloud Apps and Search Console and make changes using the same Gmail account.
- Configure Google Calendar to accept updates from SmartRecruiters.
- Configure SmartRecruiters to read Google Calendar and post updates.
When you enable a Google calendar integration, SmartRecruiters users will be able to look up calendar details of other people in your organization who are also SmartRecruiters users, according to the privacy settings set in the calendar org. For example, if someone can only see "busy" about an event in the calendar, they will see the same thing (no event details) in SmartRecruiters. Due to the technical limitations of Google's calendar services, we cannot further limit or configure the scope of permissions allowed by the integration.
Configure Google Calendar
The first step in the configuration process allows SmartRecruiters to retrieve employees' Google Calendars.
- First, go to https://console.developers.google.com.
- Create a project if you don't already have one, or select an existing one.
Enable API access
Enable access to this project for the Calendar and Admin SDK APIs:
- In the API Manager pane, click Library to see the list of available APIs.
- In the Google Apps APIs list, click Calendar API, then Enable.
- Go back to the Library.
- In the Google Apps API list, click Admin SDK API, then Enable.
Now, you'll need to add create a service account and add credentials.
Create service account
Create a new service account:
- Back in the API Manager pane, click Credentials.
- Click Create Credentials.
- Select Service account key from the list.
- Name the service account SmartRecruiters Integration.
- Click Continue on the next step
- Click Done on the last step.
- Open newly created service account details.
- Make sure the JSON option is selected for Key Type.
- Click Create. The key will automatically download a .json file to your default download folder. Hold onto this file. You'll need this file later, and it is the only copy of the key.
Edit service account
Edit the service account:
- While still on the Service Account Details page, click Enable G suite Domain-wide Delegation.
- Enter SmartRecruiters Integration in the product name field.
- Click Save.
- After you’ve enabled Domain-wide Delegation, the API Manager will create an OAuth 2.0 Client ID. You’ll need this ID for the next step. To find it:
- In the API Manager pane, click Credentials.
- Find the client you just created by looking for the product name.
- Copy the Client ID.
Authorize Calendar API
Authorize the Calendar API client in your Google Admin settings:
- Go to https://admin.google.com.
- Navigate through Security > More Settings > Advanced settings.
- Click Manage Domain-Wide Delegation.
- Click Add new.
- Enter the Client ID.
- In the OAuth Scopes field, enter both of the following URLs and separate them with a comma:
The second step in the setup process allows Google to recognize changes to an employee's calendar (e.g., when they Accept or Decline an interview) and updated SmartRecruiters.
- Log in to SmartRecruiters and go to the Settings / Admin page.
- Click Apps & Integration, then the Google Integration tab.
- Under Key File, click Choose a file and upload the .json key file you downloaded earlier.
- Click Copy to copy the Google Calendar Webhook URL for your SmartRecruiters account. It’ll look similar to:
- Open https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools.
- Paste the Google Calendar Webhook URL. Make sure to include the
- Click Continue.
- In the Verify ownership window, download the HTML verification file. Keep this page open.
- Back in SmartRecruiters, on the Google Integration page, upload the HTML file into the Verification File field. Make sure that the file name is identical to the one that you downloaded.
- On the Verify ownership window, click Verify.
- Go to https://console.developers.google.co...inverification. Make sure you’re in the project that contains your Google Calendar service account.
- Click Add Domain.
- Paste the Google Calendar Webhook URL without the
- In SmartRecruiters, on the Google Integration tab, click Load Resources to add any reservable calendar resources, such as conference rooms.
SmartRecruiters may take a few minutes to refresh and complete the integration, so if you see an error message that SmartRecruiters “can’t load resources”, just wait a few minutes.
When your calendar resources have loaded into the list, contact SmartRecruiters Support to finish the integration.