Custom Hiring Team roles to allow Admins to precisely configure the access and actions allowed for each default hiring role, and create/configure up to 5 new custom roles.
- Configure default roles: Modify the set of permissions available to each default role
- Additional Roles: Create up to 5 custom roles, and configure the permissions for each role independently
Before we dive into the process of configuration, let's examine how SmartRecruiters defines permissions:
- Actions for each role
- Access levels for each action
Each custom and default hiring team role's permissions is defined as a list of actions they can or cannot perform in relation to the job or candidates on the job.
For example, job actions include:
- Publishing/unpublishing/cancelling a job
- Editing the job's status manually (without moving the candidate forward or back in the process.
When added to a job's hiring team and assigned a role, the user is assigned the role's list of allowable actions for that job and any candidate applications to that job.
Each role is assigned an access level for each action. The access level determines exactly what a user who is assigned that role can do in relation to that action.
Some actions have three levels:
|Write||User can see and modify information|
|Read||User can see but not modify information|
|None||User cannot see or modify information.|
Others have only two:
|Yes||User can perform this action|
|No||User cannot perform this action|
The following sections specify configurable actions related to a job, the access levels available for each action, and any dependencies between them, i.e., which levels/actions must be assigned together.
Controls access to list of hiring team members in Hiring Team tab of the job.
|Write||Can add new hiring team roles and edit existing hiring team's roles|
|Read||Can see hiring team but cannot take any actions|
|None||Cannot see hiring team|
Controls access to Internal Notes section in Job Details tab on the job
|Write||Can see and write internal notes|
|Read||Can see internal notes|
|None||Cannot see internal notes|
Controls ability to publish, unpublish, or cancel a job.
|Yes||Can publish, unpublish or cancel job. User must have ability to create job.|
|No||User cannot see or modify information.|
Controls ability to manually change job status.
|Yes||User can manually change job status|
|No||User cannot change job status.|
Controls access to Activity tab on job's profile.
|Yes||User can access Activity tab|
|No||User cannot access Activity tab|
Here's a list of all the configurable actions related to a candidate, the access levels available for each action, and any dependencies between them, i.e., which levels/actions must be assigned together.
This list of actions will be available with the Jan 31st release. More will follow in February.
Controls ability to request consent and view consent status.
|Yes||Can request consent and see consent status|
|No||Cannot request consent or see consent status|
Controls ability to view and add attachments to application.
|Write||Can add/see attachments|
|Read||Can see but not add attachments|
|None||Cannot see or add attachments|
Controls access to the Hire form and confirm hiring
|Write||Can access and edit Hire form, and confirm hiring|
|Read||Can access but not edit Hire form, and cannot confirm hiring|
|None||Cannot access Hire form|
Reject/Mark as withdrawn
Controls ability to reject/mark a candidate as withdrawn and choose/view reason.
|Write||Can reject/mark as withdrawn and choose a reason|
|Read||Cannot reject/mark as withdrawn but can see the reason|
|None||Cannot see the reason|
Controls ability to edit a candidate's status in the hiring process.
|Yes||User can change candidate status|
|No||User cannot change candidate status|
Controls ability to delete attachments from application.
|Yes||Can delete attachments|
|No||Cannot delete attachments|
Controls access to view and edit tags on application.
|Write||Can see and add tags|
|Read||Can see but not add tags|
|None||Cannot see or add tags|
Controls access to Interviews tab ability to view, schedule, and edit interviews. Any hiring team member may be invited to an interview, regardless of their access level to Interviews.
|Write||Can see previous interviews and schedule an interview|
|Read||Can see previous interviews and but cannot schedule an interview|
|None||Cannot see Interviews tab|
Controls access to Offers tab and ability to create/edit/send offers, send/view offer approvals, and view offer information.
|Write||Can create an offer, send it for approvals, see previous offers and approvals, and send offer to candidate|
|Read||Cannot create an offer or send it for approvals or to candidate, but can see previous offers and approvals|
|None||Cannot see Offer tab or offer-related messages and attachments|
Controls ability to edit personal, experience, or education information on profile
|Yes||Can edit personal, experience, or education information|
|No||Cannot edit personal, experience, or education information|
Add/Reactivate/Remove from this job
Controls ability to add or remove candidate from job, or reactivate them
|Yes||Can add candidate to job, reactivate candidate on job, or remove candidate from job|
|No||Cannot add candidate to job, reactivate candidate on job, or remove candidate from job|
Can view a candidate's other applications, even if the user is not assigned to those jobs.
|Yes||Can see all of a candidate's applications|
|No||Can only see candidate's application to a job if member of hiring team on that job.|
Controls access to Message tab and ability to send emails to candidate and read emails sent to candidate.
|Write||Can send emails to candidate and see sent emails in Messages tab.|
|Read||Can see sent emails in Messages tab, but cannot send new emails to candidate.|
|None||Cannot see Messages tab|
Controls ability to edit application source
|Yes||Can edit source of application|
|No||Cannot edit source of application|
Configure default roles
On the the Configure default roles tab are two tables: Job and Candidate permissions. Each row in the tables is a specific action; each column, a specific default role.
To configure the permissions of a particular default role:
- Find the action in the Job Actions or Candidate Actions table.
- Hover over the row for an action, and click Edit.
- Choose the role's correct level of access for that action from the list, and click Save.
Changes take effect immediately.
Configure additional roles
To create and configure custom hiring team roles:
- Click on the Additional Roles tab.
- Click Manage additional roles.
- Click Add a role.
- Give the role a name, and click Save.
- In the Job and Candidate Actions tables, go through each action and assign an access level. When you create a new role, SmartRecruiters defaults all of the role's access levels to None.Make sure to click Save!
- Repeat as needed for both tables.
Admins can add up to five custom roles. Just click Manage additional roles to add another.
If you've added more than one, you can update each at the same time:
To delete a role, click Manage additional roles, then click the Delete icon for the role.A few things to keep in mind:
- Admins cannot deactivate a custom hiring team role if the role is currently being used in an existing approval chain
- Admins cannot delete a custom role or if there is at least one user assigned that role on a hiring team.
- There are some interdependencies between actions. SmartRecruiters will resolve these interdependencies as needed. For example, assume an Admin has granted a user Write permissions for Offers, but None permissions for Messages. The user will need to be able to send an offer, so SmartRecruiters will ignore the Messages permission. In the future, we may add deconfliction rules, but this is the current logic.
- SmartRecruiters will automatically update candidate status based on user actions, even if the user doesn't have the ability to edit status.
- Our Hiring App will follow the same permissions as the web app.