Welcome to SmartRecruiters! This guide will provide you with everything you need to know about setting up the various features in your account as a new Administrator on a Corporate or Global plans.
Each section of this guide focuses on setting up, configuring, or using a major feature or process in SmartRecruiters. In each section, you'll find a brief introduction, followed by a step-by-step learning path that introduces you to the parts of SmartRecruiters that you'll use to accomplish that task. Just click on the first step to begin.
Let's start with the basics! In this section, you'll learn about the major parts of the SmartRecruiters platform, and set your personal and company preferences for using SmartRecruiters.
In SmartRecruiters, user rights are determined by a two-level structure:
- Each user has a user role, which defines their system-level access to different features and functionality in the platform, such as configuring the company’s feature settings, posting jobs, or purchasing ads or services in the Marketplace. User roles are assigned when someone creates a new user, but can be changed later.
- A user's hiring team role determines their level of access to certain information about the job and candidates on that job, and the actions the user can take on the job or candidate, such as extending an offer or editing the job’s details. These roles are assigned when the user is added to a job's hiring team. Users can have different roles on each job.
As an Admin, you are responsible for adding users to your account, and for assigning them the correct user type based on the rights and permissions they will need. In this section, you'll learn about user types and hiring team roles, and learn how to manually add and manage your users.
Hiring managers and recruiters will assign hiring team roles when they create a job. If you'd like to learn more about hiring team roles and rights, start here.
Companies on a Global plan with more complex hiring teams can further customize their permissions using two advanced features:
- Set up Access Groups to give users access to specific groups of jobs without adding them to the hiring team. You'll need to configure some Org fields first.
- Add a custom hiring role to the list of available hiring team roles.
If you'd like to set up SSO for your company, see our SSO documentation at dev.smartrecruiters.com, or contact Support for assistance.
Want to add Access groups, custom hiring roles, or SSO to your Corporate plan? Talk to your Customer Success Manager about our Configuration pack.
As an Admin, you can customize how your hiring team uses SmartRecruiters using various features and fields.
Global plan customers who want to set up a large number fields can set dependencies between Job and Org fields and their values to help your hiring managers and recruiters to quickly, accurately, and easily choose the right values for each job.
SmartRecruiters also provides default values for tracking interview types , and withdrawal or rejection reasons for Corporate and Global customers. On a Global plan, you can also set up custom withdrawal and rejection reasons.
Want to add custom withdrawal or rejection reasons, or set up dependent fields on a Corporate plan? Talk to your Customer Success Manager about the Configuration pack.
SmartRecruiters makes it easy to manage and assign screening questions to applications to help you select the right candidates and report on candidate demographics for diversity and compliance reporting.
When a candidate applies to a job that's assigned a screening question set, the last step in the application is providing answers.
Each SmartRecruiters company has access to:
- a screening questions library, which contains a list of default standard and diversity questions.
- a default screening question set. When activated, SmartRecruiters adds it to all applications.
All Admins can:
- add custom questions to the library,
- configure who can see each question on a candidate's profile, and
- make the question required on the application.
Admins on Corporate and Global editions can create additional question sets, and configure them to apply to specific jobs, e.g., by using Org fields like Country, Brand, and Department.
One of the top complaints from job seekers is the feeling of disconnection and frustration when they apply to a job and receive no acknowledgement. Recruiters are busy, and often don't have time to respond to every application.
Auto Replies provide an automated means to immediately engage the candidate, set expectations on follow-up steps like phone screens, and introduce your company's culture. When a candidate applies to a job, SmartRecruiters will automatically respond with an Auto Reply to the email they provide on their application.
Each job can have one Auto Reply, which is branded with your company’s name. The Auto Reply also contains a link to the Candidate Portal so that the candidate can access their application(s).
SmartRecruiters' Email Templates can be used by your hiring teams to quickly respond to candidates, extend offers, and send rejections, and invite them for interviews.
Admins can create email templates for the hiring team to use when messaging candidates. The templates are branded with your company's name (or brand name, if you have multiple brands).
There a four types of templates, and each is accessible from a specific tab on the candidate's profile, according to the template's purpose:
- Generic templates are available on the Messages tab.
- Offer templates are available on the Offer tab.
- Interview templates are available on the Interview tab.
- Rejection templates are available on the Interview tab.
Templates inherit the permissions of their tabs, so only the users who can access a specific tab can use the templates for that tab, and see candidate responses to the template. For example, only users who can extend an offer from the Offer tab can send Offer templates, and see the candidates' responses (and attachments in responses.)
SmartRecruiters provides full offer management right from the candidate's profile. Admins on Corporate plans can create offer templates fo hiring manager(s) and recruiter(s) to use when creating offers for specific candidates.
SmartRecruiters makes it easy to create and configure offer templates using a text editor.
- Administrators create templates with merge fields which are dynamic fields that SmartRecruiters fills in with information for specific candidates. Admins can set up templates for all jobs, or for a specific set of jobs using Org fields.
- When a hiring manager or recruiter selects a template from the Offer tab on the candidate's profile, SmartRecruiters will automatically populate the candidate's information in the appropriate field. Offers can be sent from the candidate's profile via email or optional DocuSign integration.
If you have a DocuSign account, you can connect it to SmartRecruiters to help your team create and send offers via DocuSign, and manage the whole process from the Offer tab of the candidate's profile.
- Create offer template
- If you don't plan to send offers via DocuSign, follow these instructions to create offer letter templates that your team will send by email.
- Create offer template for DocuSign
- If you plan to use DocuSign to send offers, follow these instructions to create templates for sending offers via DocuSign, and add DocuSign anchor fields to streamline the process.
SmartRecruiters has two optional approval workflows: one for posting jobs, and one for extending offers to candidates. In this section, you'll learn how to configure rules for either type of approvals.
Approval setup is a two-step process:
- Create the set and choose which jobs it should apply to.
- Add the approval chain. There are two options, and both can have one or more approvers:
- Set up a sequential chain in which approvers receive requests and approve in sequence.
- Set up a parallel chain in which all approvers receive requests at the same time, and approve independently.
As with many features, Admins can assign approvals to specific groups of jobs by selecting a set of values for the company's active Org fields. SmartRecruiters applies the approval chain to any jobs that have the same set of values for these Org Fields.
When someone posts a job or creates an offer that is subject to approvals:
- SmartRecruiters notifies the chain's approvers through a summary email. Approvers can then review details and approve from the email, or log into SmartRecruiters to approve.
- Jobs requiring approval cannot be published until approved. Offers requiring approval cannot be sent to the candidate until approved.
- Job approval workflow
- Review the steps in the job approval workflow from request to publishing.
- Offer approval workflow
- Review the steps in the offer approval workflow from offer creation to extending the offer the candidate.
- Set up job approvals
- Set up job approvals to require approval before a job can be published.
- Set up offer approvals
- Set up job offer approvals to require approval for an offer before it can be sent through SmartRecruiters.
SmartRecruiters integrates with Google Calendar, and Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Exchange calendars to make it easy for your recruiters and coordinators to schedule and manage interviews.
As an Admin, you can set up one of the following integrations:
- Google Calendar integration
- Microsoft Office 365 calendar integration
- Microsoft Exchange calendar integration
You will need to have administrator access to your company's Google or Microsoft calendar in order to complete the integration. If you don't, you will need the help of your IT staff.
Career site setup
In addition to posting jobs to the free and paid boards, SmartRecruiters provides options for marketing your jobs directly to candidates. All options will automatically update when you post or remove jobs in SmartRecruiters.
- Set up a Career Page with your company's branding, message, and media using SmartRecruiters' Career Page Builder. SmartRecruiters provides the hosting, and you won't need any engineering assistance or technical knowledge to build a career page.
- Create a Job Widget that you can drop into your corporate site to automatically display an up-to-date list of jobs. Job Widgets can display only Public jobs, Public and Internal jobs, or Internal jobs only.
- For maximum configurability and control, application developers can use the Posting API to query SmartRecruiters for job posting information, and build a fully custom page. For information on the Posting API, see http://dev.smartrecruiters.com.
There are two more options for advertising your jobs without posting to boards:
- Create a Job Alert to allow candidates to subscribe and receive alerts when you post new jobs.
- SmartRecruiters Internal Mobility portal is an optional module that allows your hiring team manage internal postings and applicants. Only users in your SmartRecruiters account can view and apply through Internal Mobility.
SmartRecruiters knows that reporting is an integral part of recruiting and hiring, and provides Admins with the tools they need to report on their hiring practices and demonstrate compliance.
As an Admin, you can download the following compliance and tracking reports:
- Sourcing Analytics report, which lists the source of all candidates in your account.
- Applicant Flow report with the status of each candidate in the hiring process.
- OFCCP report with candidate responses to OFCCP questions.
- Diversity report with candidate responses to non-OFCCP diversity questions.
- EEO report with candidate responses to EEO questions.
Admin users on Corporate and Global Editions can also download six additional Analytics Reports:
- an Applications Report with a complete list of applications and their details. This report differs from the Applicant flow report because it has no formatting and contains more SmartRecruiters-specific information like Job ID and candidate profile ID.
- a Jobs Report with candidates for each job, their statuses in the job’s hiring flow, and other essential job-specific information.
- a Positions Report with details of each job’s position(s).
- a Job Fields Report with a list of all active Job and Org Fields for jobs, with values that are currently assigned to jobs.
- a Hiring Team Report with a list of your hiring team members and their roles.
- an Interviews Report with full details of all interviews, including schedules, participants, and feedback.
SmartRecruiters' Local Compliance Administration tool helps companies around the world ensure compliance with the candidate data retention laws in each country where they operate. Companies on Corporate plans can set up set up separate, independent policies for each county where they post jobs.
Configuration rulesets address two main areas of compliance related to candidates' information:
- Set a data retention period to automate the deletion of personally identifying information for a candidate.
Please note that while SmartRecruiters provides the tools to help you ensure compliance, it’s up to you to make sure that you are actually compliant.
SmartRecruiters provides four analytics dashboards for analyzing your hiring team's success:
- Current Candidate Pipeline Analytics
- Examine the current week's metrics for hiring velocity, to determine bottlenecks in your hiring process, and to see the total candidates in all stages of the hiring process.
- Hiring Plan Analytics
- Analyze your hiring plan to determine how long it takes to hire candidates, the lead time between hire and start dates, and the number of hires that start on time.
- Historical Candidate Pipeline Analytics
- Examine your historical metrics for hiring velocity, to determine bottlenecks in your hiring process, and to see the total candidates in all stages of the hiring process.
- Sourcing Analytics
- Visually analyze where your candidates come from and identify the best places to focus your recruiting efforts and budget.
The Analytics Dashboards are available to Admin, Extended, and Standard users only.