SmartRecruiters provides a default library of standard and diversity screening questions for all companies.
Standard screening questions help recruiters collect information from candidates and determine their fit for the role or company.
- A candidate’s answers to any standard screening questions are, by default, visible to anyone with access to the candidate. Admins can choose to hide them from anyone without full access (e.g., users with Standard, Basic, or Employee access) to the candidate.
- Answers to standard questions are displayed in a candidate’s profile and in the candidates’ portal.
- Candidates may not change their answers to standard screening questions after submitting an application.
- Candidate answers to standard questions do not show up in the Applicant Flow report.
- Answers to Screening questions can retrieved through the Candidate API. Questions can be retrieved and answered through the Apply API.
Default standard questions
All companies can choose from the default list of standard questions:
- Work Permit: Are you authorized to work in <job location>? Yes/No.
- Criminal Record: Have you ever been convicted, pleaded guilty or no contest to a crime, or are criminal charges pending against you? Yes/No.
- Driving Current: Do you have a current driver’s license?
- Driving Revoked: Has your driver’s license ever been revoked? Yes/No
- Employment Record: Have you ever been terminated from or asked to leave any previous positions?
- Ethnicity: Are you hispanic or latino?
- Languages: Add languages and indicate your proficiency level
- Work Shifts: preferred days and hour range
- Additional Attachments: Add additional attachments
- Acknowledgement: Yes/no response that candidate read something
- Your Name
- Today's date
Diversity questions that help companies ensure that their hiring practices are compliant with regulations by collecting and reporting on candidates.
When a candidate submits answers to a Diversity question, the answers are:
- Omitted from their profile, and from the Candidate Filters, so that the hiring team cannot see them. There is a single exception for EEO questions: hiring managers and recruiters can see if the candidate has answered, but cannot see the actual answer.
- Added to the Applicant Flow Report so that administrators can report on their compliance with hiring practices.
Candidates may change their answers to Diversity Questions at any time in the candidate portal. Diversity questions can be accessed through the Candidate API and the Apply API.
Default diversity questions
All companies have access to these default diversity questions. You can identify both default and custom Diversity questions in the Library by the Diversity icon:
- OFCCP - Disability: Do you have (or previously had) a disability? Yes/No/Prefer not to answer.
- OFCCP - Veteran: Are you a protected veteran?
- OFCCP - Reasonable Accommodation
- EEO - Race and Gender: Dropdown lists for choosing both.
- Ethnicity: Are you Hispanic or Latino?
- Veteran Status: Are you a veteran? Yes/No.
- Disability Status: Do you claim disability status? Yes/No.
- Ethnic group descriptions:
- Hispanic or Latino: A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- Asian (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Black or African American (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
- White (not Hispanic or Latino): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.