Administrators for any SmartRecruiters Edition can also add, remove, or edit custom screening and diversity questions in their library. Each SmartRecruiters account can have a maximum of 500 standard or diversity screening questions.
You can choose from eight different question formats for both screening and diversity questions.
The first five are questions:
- Free Text questions let candidates respond by entering their own words into a text box.
- Single Select questions let candidates choose one answer from a dropdown list of predefined answers.
- Multi-select questions let candidates choose one or more answer from a list of predefined answers.
- Currency questions let candidates enter salary expectation.
- Yes/No questions let candidates respond with a simple Yes or No. Diversity questions with Yes/No format have a third option “Prefer not to answer” so that even if a question is marked “Required”, the candidates may still decline to answer it.
There are three other “types” that aren’t actual questions:
- The Information Text type simply provides important information to the candidate. Use Information Text questions to add instructions for information about other questions, e.g., to explain why you’re asking a particular question and what you do with answers.
- The Additional Attachments type allows candidates to attach and upload files to their application. This type is part of the default library, and is not available as a custom question.
- The Checkbox type allows candidates to check a box to acknowledge a statement.
Add new question
To add a new screening or diversity question:
- Navigate to Settings / Admin
- Click Screening Questions in the Configuration list.
- Click the Question Library tab.
- Click Create New Question to bring up the configuration modal.
In the pop-up, fill out the question's details:
- Choose from six types, each with a different format.
- Give it a title. This title will show up on the candidate profile and in the library, but not on the candidate application.
- Depending on the type you select, you'll have an additional configuration option:
- For Dropdown questions, choose Single select if candidates should select only one value, or Multi-select to allow more than one selection.
- For Currency questions (e.g., "Expected Salary"), choose one from the list of available currencies.
Currency questions allow the candidate to enter a value, but not choose a currency. If hiring in multiple currencies, you will need to create separate Currency questions with the correct currency, then add them to country-specific question sets.
- For Free-text questions, choose whether candidate answers should have a limit of 200 or 1440 characters.
- Enter the text of the question itself. Questions have a limit of 1440 characters for text.
- Choose Diversity if this question is sensitive or compliance-related.
- For Dropdown types, add the items in the dropdown's list:
- The Question Preview displays the question exactly as a candidate would see it. Make changes if necessary, or click Save Changes to add the question to the library
You can set the visibility of custom questions and make them required on the application when you add them to a question set.