In the Details step of the Job Posting Wizard, job creators can select the job's details from Job and Org Fields. When dependencies exist between some or all of these fields, each selection can affect the list of available fields and/or their values. Here's a brief walkthrough of the experience.
Want this feature? Ask your Customer Success Manager about the SmartGlobal add-on.
Let's use SmartRecruiters as an example, and look at the Administrator's view of the dependency tree.
We have main offices in San Francisco, CA, USA, and Kraków, Poland:
- The San Francisco office is the home of Support, Professional Services, Product Management, Sales, and Marketing teams.
- The Kraków office is the home of Support, Engineering, and Finance teams.
Our own SmartRecruiters account has these Job and Org Fields and values:
- Country: USA, Poland, Germany, France, UK
- City: Berlin, Kraków, London, Paris
- Department: Support, Professional Services, Product, Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Finance
We've set up the following field dependencies:
We've also set up dependencies between values for these fields. For example, the available cities in the City field are dependent on the country chosen:
If someone creates a job with a location the USA, they'll be able to choose San Francisco or Buffalo, but not Kraków or Berlin.
The values available in the Department field depend on the city selected in the City field:
If someone creates a job in the USA, and choose San Francisco, they'll be able to choose only Support, Marketing, and Product Development for the Department field.
Creating the job
Job creators can select Job and Org field values on the first (Create) and second (Details) steps of the Job Posting Wizard.
- To select a Brand, use the Brand picker:
- To select a Country, just enter the job's location:
If either of these Org fields have dependencies, SmartRecruiters will automatically display the right fields and values on the Details page. Since we've chosen San Francisco, the country is United States, and the City field displays the right cities:
Each selection for a field with dependencies exposes the next field in the dependency tree, and and the values allowed by the dependency rules. We chose San Francisco, so the Department field display only values assigned to San Francisco:
If the dependency rules leave only a single available value for field, SmartRecruiters automatically selects that value.
To prevent errors, changing a previous selection for a particular field may reset its children.
- If all previously selected child fields and values are available for the updated parent value, all other selections remain.
- If some of the previously selected child fields or values are unavailable for the new parent value, the tree will reset up to the parent whose value changed.
For example, selecting Buffalo from the City field will reset the selection for the Department field.